This month I turned 26, as the title of the post implies. I’ve wanted to do a birthday post filled with life lessons in the past but never got around to it, so here I finally am! In a few moments, I want to share a whopping 26 life lessons I learned from the past few years. This has been on my heart for a while, particularly because the last few years have been a little trying, to say the least.
These life lessons are ones I’ve learned, am still learning, and probably will continue to learn over the course of my life. My hope for everyone who comes across this is to encourage, challenge, and inspire.
If you’re not yet 26, could these life lessons be helpful to you now? If you’re 26, do these resonate with you? And if you’re 27 and on, have you learned these or are you still learning them?
The school of Life is one of the important ones to attend. You must let everything that happens in your life and comes your way be a lesson somehow, even if it’s a quick one you might forget in a few days. The point is to stay learnable and to never stop learning.
I won’t spend a lot of time on these (I mean, there’s a whole 26!). But I’ll give 1-2 liners, and in no particular order, so that your imagination and conviction can run on its own. If any of these life lessons stand out or you’d like for me to elaborate on, comment below or send a message through the contact form. Then, at the very end of this post, I have a birthday idea for you!
1. Absolutely every single person is going through something.
2. You can reminisce the old days, but it’s not wise to wish your present was the same as before (Ecclesiastes 7:10).
3. Joy is a choice
4. Don’t let your emotions get the best of you.
5. Don’t let your thoughts get the best of you.
6. Gossiping will make you miserable.
7. Every day is a new day, and Gods mercies are new with it.
8. “This too will pass.” Everything is for a season. Let it come, let it pass.
9. Boundaries are not walls, they help define your values and principles.
10. Limits make life more spacious.
11. Look around, life is good.
12. There’s always something to be grateful for.
13. There’s always someone to learn from.
14. Don’t rush through your day.
15. Look beyond what you feel, especially when you get too in your head.
16. Oppositions and trials are opportunities for growth.
17. Pursue honesty and truth.
18. Weakness is required for Gods strength to be made perfect.
19. If you feel stuck or don’t hear God, He’s busy working behind the scenes.
20. You cannot please everyone ALL the time.
21. There is power is routines. You can change your life with intentional routines.
22. Actually, really, and fully trust God; keep on doing good (be kind, loving, caring, etc.); do your best and steward where you currently are; and get into a relationship with faithfulness (Psalm 37:4).
23. Getting older is an honor. It’s exciting and beautiful! (Proverbs 16:31).
24. We actually have a new life in Christ, and we can actually live like it.
25. In denying yourself, you’ll get true fulfillment (Matthew 16:24-25)
26. We don’t just live for God. We live FROM God.
Birthday Idea for You
Something I started doing several years ago is reading a chapter from Psalms and Proverbs that correlates with my new age.
Example: Psalm 26 and Proverbs 26 because I’m turning 26.
I highlight what stands out: words that inspire, edify, encourage, and challenge me. Then, throughout the year, especially during the harder times, I look back at it and remind myself of God’s promises.
Psalms is a very emotional book of the Bible, so it helps when things get emotionally hard. But it is also prophetic and life-giving, which increases motivation and energy. And Proverbs is filled with wisdom galore. I’ll sometimes take a handful of verses to memorize and let them become my wisdom for situations I face throughout the year.
Not only does this help me grow in my character and become a better person, but it brings me closer to God and my relationship with Him.
After reading the chapters for “this year,” I was blow away! Just left in awe. The words in each verse were things I’ve already been praying in my heart and spirit for last several months, and it made me even more excited for this new year and all that’s to come! Here’s what Psalm 26 says,
Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.
2 Prove me, O Lord, and try me; test my heart and my mind.
3 For your steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in your faithfulness.
4 I do not sit with men of falsehood, nor do I consort with hypocrites.
5 I hate the assembly of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked.
6 I wash my hands in innocence and go around your altar, O Lord,
7 proclaiming thanksgivings aloud and telling all your wondrous deeds.
8 O Lord, I love the habitation of your house and the place where your glory dwells.
9 Do not sweep my soul away with sinners, nor my life with bloodthirsty men,
10 in whose hands are evil devices, and whose right hands are full of bribes.
11 But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be gracious to me.
12 My foot stands on level ground; in the great assembly I will bless the Lord.
I hope this inspires you to find transformation in every area of your life, including on your birthday and throughout the year of your new age!
Happy Birthday! May the LORD continue to give you wisdom as you grow in Him and inspire many and share His love!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much 🙂